Archive for June, 2010

Can you believe it–another post already?

This is another episode of “Sing Along with the Landt Trio” of Karl, Jack and Dan. This program has a little extra interest to it: it’s Army Day!

As a thank-you to those of you who are still with me after such a long hiatus, here’s something that I think is pretty special. This was one of my grandpa’s “b-sides,” where he really only cared about the material on the other side. This was totally unlabeled and undocumented in his records.

Jimmie Fidler was apparently a somewhat controversial entertainment reporter who had a weekly Hollywood news show.

I’m back!!!!!

I have a new computer and a new phono preamp. My 33rpm motor is just about dead, so I’m primarily using the 78 motor and digitally correcting the speed. It’s not ideal, but it’s all I can do.

Here’s a quickie I could get off today.  This is a program called “Buffalo Presents Portraits in Music,” from WKBW. 

I have everything working! I’m going to do just a few more tests this weekend, then I should be able to get back to digitizing, processing and posting.  I also now have access to a  professional-level noise reduction and de-popping program so my finished products should be better than before.

I think I mentioned in a previous post that I’m going to start with some really bad recordings. Not only will that spare my new stylus (I’ll record those with the old one), but it will be a good test for the noise reduction program.  I’ll try to find something extra-special for my first upload.

Thanks again for your patience!

I finally got my new computer last week–hooray! I got Cubase installed yesterday (ridiculous the hoops they make you jump through to register and activate a free program) but I’m having problems getting signal from my turntable to it. The same thing happened when I tried to record using my husband’s work laptop, and sometimes happened with my old computer.  We never were able to get it to work on my husband’s, and the fixes I used on my old computer aren’t working now.

On the bright side, I’m on summer vacation from homeschooling my kids so I should have a little more time to devote to figuring it out.

Thanks to all of you who are still following me. Please continue to be patient as I get these bugs worked out!

Update: Bad news. It looks like the problem is either my phono preamp (which isn’t a big deal to replace) or the connection from the tonearm to the preamp, or something within the tonearm’s wiring. I’m hoping it’s just a loose connection somewhere. I’ll keep you posted.